Archive for category Ubuntu
Last month I finally built myself a little HTPC box to use with my tv. There were a few goals for the build:
- Be able to cruise the tubes on my tube.
- Have a quiet low power machine that could stay on 24/7
- Serve up my videos and music around the house
- Host some web services to allow me to access my resources on the go.
I built the machine with these components:
- SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B Black SECC / Plastic Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case SFX 300W 80Plus Power Supply
- LG Black Super-Multi Combo Drive SATA Model CT21N – OEM
- Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model KVR1333D3S9/2G
- AZiO BTD-V201 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Adapter (Class 1, V2.1 + EDR)
- Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 310 Laser
- ASUS AT5IONT-I Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, dual-core) BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
- Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive
- ENCORE ENUWI-N4 USB 2.0 Wireless Mini Adapter
All together it cost me about $600 from newegg.
Everything worked together well, and I was up and running in an afternoon with windows 7. The only problem I have with the machine is that windows is a pig, and the machine isn’t exactly ‘snappy’. The day has arrived for me to take the ubuntu challenge! This will be my second Ubuntu build. The first was a dual boot on my primary desktop machine. I didn’t do much with it and have since destroyed it in the process of reinstalling windows. If this install goes well, I plan to reinstall on my desktop.
Aside from the resource issue on my HTPC, I am also looking forward to having an Linux environment for my web development work. I’ve been doing a bit of Rails work of late, and under Windows it is a DOG 😛
Anyway, stay tuned for more exciting entries as I chronicle my exciting adventures in Ubuntu Land!
You are currently browsing the archives for the Ubuntu category.